Saturday, March 29, 2008

Ribbon Roundup


Hi all!

Springtime often means Spring Cleaning. Something about the start of warm weather just gets me itching to straighten and organize and such. In that vein... I wanted to share my ribbon storage solution. I moved everything to this method a little over a year ago, and it is still working out really well.

I have most of my ribbon wound on plastic floss bobbins (I believe that DMC makes them) that I've found at WalMart and AC Moore. The bobbins come with a metal ring to hang them on. I have a curtain rod mounted to the wall above my scrap space. The bobbin ring are hanging on C-shaped shower curtain hooks. All the ribbon is sorted by color... making it really easy to find a good match for a card or layout. Generally I'll just grab the color ring I want and fan it out over my project to see if any would be a good match. It's nice to be able to try things out without actually removing them from the ring and/or bobbin.



Now, not all ribbon fits. I can get ribbon up to 3/4 inch-wide on there... but wider or thicker ribbons you have to tuck the end under the ribbon as opposed to using the little slots in the plastic. Really wide or bulky ribbon I wrap around the antique bobbins that sit on my desk top and secure with a straight pin. A~ loves to help put new ribbon on... which makes it even easier to keep it all neat! :)

3 comments:

Lisa H said...

Such a great idea! I have all my ribbons stuffed in baggies by color but this is soooo much prettier!

nancy said...

Lovely! And it's so colorful, too. My ribbon lives in various places in my room. Some is in jars, some hangs on binder ring in my closet and more lives in those Martha Stewart ribbon boxes.

Kylie said...

Wow, I love your ribbon storage Erin. I have mine in jars by colour - that way I can just shove everything in - this looks so organised!