Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Turkeys - Now & Then

So A~ came home from school last week with a turkey made from a paper plate. Being the artistic diva that she is, she wanted to add to her turkey by jazzing it up with some plastic beads from her craft stash. I wasn't sure about them sticking... especially to the crayon-covered plate, so I convinced her to make some decorative "plumes" to accent her turkey feathers. We pulled out some metallic chenille stems, bent them around pencils to get a good spring-like shape, and worked the beads into place. Once they were done, I stapled them on and here is her work of art:


Working on A~'s turkey reminded me of the turkey I made quite a few years ago. I'm not actually sure when I made it... but I wrote my own poem on it! I am sure that I created it at Grandma's house in Houston, but that's all that I can remember. Mom sent it to me recently and I've been meaning to get to work on trying to preserve it. I took a picture first... (of course!) ... and then carefully removed the turkey from the backing. It's amazing how sticky that tape still was! I thought that I would remove the "feathers" and put it back together with glue dots... but it was holding together really well. Besides there were a lot of pieces and it would have taken forever. I don't know what possessed me to make it so detailed, with tiny strips folded over for the belly-feathers and long strips curled for the tail. I even cut little feet out of yellow paper and taped them on top of the brown paper back. It was definitely a masterpiece! I decided to cut out out the title and my poem, and mount them on acid free cardstock. Once it was in place I sprayed it with Archival Mist several times. Hopefully it will last for years to come!


Happy Turkey Day Everyone!
erin

1 comment:

Fink said...

Cute stuff she did to her turkey! Stopping by from OOTF